Friday, June 3, 2011

My comment to Dave Maas' article in the San Diego City Beat

TO:  Dave Maas, San Diego City Beat
Save yourself the trouble, Dave. Don't bother entering this piece in next year's Pulitzer Prize judging. Geez. What a fricking waste of time. This country is at war on three fronts, your own state's economy is in the sewer, your ex-governor turns out to a liar and a slut... and the best you can do is a story on how a bunch of journalists and retired journalists and working behind the scenes to preserve and protect the Constitution.
And you managed to do it all through a brave and valiant search (I hope the sarcasm is noted) of public records. Why on earth did you go to all that trouble? I certainly would have been happy to share. We all are professional journalists, Dave. We are in the business of putting out the story -- not hiding it. I'd like to see a list (if one exists) of the journalists involved here whom you contacted and who refused to share our emails and other correspondence with you.
I know you never asked me. If you had, I'd have told you that going back to January 2011 wasn't good enough. Some of our best writing about the Helen Thomas matter was done in December 2010. You're a news reporter. How did you miss that?
Your newspaper's slogan is "Real Alternative News." In this case, I think your story smacks of UNreal Alternative JOURNALISM. You ought to be ashamed.
Lloyd H Weston
Member, SPJ
Retired Reporter & Editor
Chicago, Illinois
westonlloyd1@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment